Meta, the company formerly known as Facebook, has just unveiled their latest app called “Threads.” While it was launched late on Wednesday, it’s important to note that Threads is not yet available in Europe. But fear not, we’ll keep you posted on any updates regarding its availability.
So, what exactly is Threads? Well, according to Connor Hayes, a Meta product vice president, Threads is a text-based app that aims to revolutionize conversations and dialogues. Taking inspiration from Instagram’s success with photo and video sharing, Threads focuses on creating meaningful connections through text.
In many ways, Threads functions similarly to Twitter. It revolves around text-based conversations, where your posts, referred to as “threads,” are limited to a maximum of 500 characters each. If you want to mention someone in your threads, simply use the “@” symbol followed by their username. Additionally, you have the option to reply to other people’s posts and even quote or “repost” them with just a click.
Similar to Twitter, Threads allows you to have either public or private accounts. However, there are a couple of notable differences. Unlike Twitter, Threads does not feature hashtags or trending topics. Additionally, at its initial release, there is no separate direct messaging function available.
Thanks to its connection with Meta, Threads boasts a potential audience of billions as it is built on top of Instagram. However, this also comes with some concerns related to privacy, moderation, and algorithmic feed practices, all of which are associated with Meta. For instance, as soon as you log into Threads, it starts showing you recommended posts from accounts and brands that you may not follow or have an interest in.
Now, let’s dive into what you need to know about Threads. In just its first four hours, this new social network amassed a staggering 5 million sign-ups! To get started, you can create one profile on Threads for each of your Instagram accounts. It’s worth noting that any changes you make to your profile picture, bio, or link on Threads will not affect your corresponding details on Instagram.
Once you’ve posted a thread on Threads, you won’t be able to edit it. Therefore, it’s crucial to ensure your content is accurate and well-crafted before sharing. Moreover, the profiles you follow on Threads and the ones following you won’t impact your Instagram followers or the accounts you’re following. When you first use the app, you’ll have the option to automatically follow all the same accounts you follow on Instagram, or you can selectively choose which ones to follow. This means that your existing friends and followers from Instagram won’t automatically transfer to Threads, so you’ll need to build your audience from scratch.
Don’t worry, though; you can always edit your profile on Threads at any time. However, if you need to update your username or personal information, you’ll have to make those changes on Instagram. For those with verified Instagram accounts, the option to change your profile picture is only available on Instagram. Nevertheless, your Threads profile will display a verification badge along with your profile information.
While Threads allows you to include photos and videos, it’s important to note that they won’t appear as Instagram posts or Reels. Additionally, at the time of its launch, Threads does not feature any ads, making for a cleaner and uninterrupted user experience.
So there you have it—a brief overview of Meta’s latest creation, Threads. Even though it’s not currently available in Europe, we hope it will be soon. With its focus on text conversations and connections, Threads may be able to enhance our social networking experience. Stay tuned for more updates!
Here are the steps you need to take to get on Threads!
To create a profile on Threads, you’ll need to sign in with your Instagram account. Follow these steps to create your profile:
Threads app for Android and iPhone
- Download the Threads app from the App Store (iPhone) or Google Play Store (Android).
- Once the app is installed, tap to open it.
- Tap Sign in with Instagram at the bottom. You’ll see the account you’re currently signed in to on the Instagram app. If you aren’t signed into the Instagram app, tap Log in with Instagram at the bottom to log into your Instagram account. Once you’ve logged in, you’ll be taken back to the Threads app. If you have more than one Instagram account and want to sign in with a different one, tap Switch accounts at the bottom and select another account. If you don’t see one of your accounts listed, tap Log in to another Instagram account and log in to your Instagram account.
- Once you’ve logged in with your Instagram account, you can:
- Tap next to Name to upload a profile picture and select how you want to upload your picture.
- Tap Bio to write a bio for your profile. Enter your bio or tap Import bio from Instagram at the bottom, then tap Done in the top right.
- Tap Link to add links to your profile. Enter a URL and title for your link or tap Import link from Instagram at the bottom. Tap Done in the top right.
- Tap Following to see a list of profiles you may want to follow. Tap Follow next to a profile to follow it.
- Tap Import from Instagram at the bottom to import all of the above information from your instagram profile.
- Tap Continue at the bottom.
- Select whether you want to have a public or private profile at the top, the tap Continue at the bottom.
- Review the terms and policies, then tap Create profile at the bottom.
For more expert Marketing advice, sign up (Below) for email notification or get in touch with our team today